Augusta Volunteer Fire Company
Serving Hampshire County Since 1955
The Augusta Volunteer Fire Company was established on November 25, 1955. We were the second fire company to form in Hampshire County. We organized with 54 charter members and the company was officially charted on August 27, 1956.
Our first meeting was held at the Augusta Elementary School. We voted towards the purchase of a fire engine. We bought a 1934 Ford fire engine from Marion Fire Company in Marion, Pennsylvania. Our second engine was a 1963 Ford fire engine.
The original fire station was located just past Ford Hill Road, across from Dewey’s Appliances in what was Mountain Ammunition Supplies on Route 50. In 1980, we purchased the land across from L&M Market and built a three-bay station with a dining hall. In 2001, we built on four more bays, making a seven-bay station to house all our trucks in single file. Our station is also equipped to land medivac with a helicopter landing pad in the field behind the firehouse.
Currently, we have three engines; 1990 Ford Pierce, 2002 KME engine/tanker, and a 2006 KME custom; a 2012 KME International Rescue, 1995 Ford S&S Mini-pumper, and a 2002 Ford F-350 brush truck. We still utilize our 1963 Ford, but it is more or less retired. It is our pride and joy and we are maintaining it with restoration and it still has all its equipment.
There are approximately 50 members volunteering in Augusta Fire Company. Many are third and fourth-generation members.